Sunday, September 20, 2009

Post-Reflection Southern Africa Reflection 1



I think that what I have most struggled with, in terms of understanding my South Africa experience, is how to make it meaningful. Certainly, it was an amazing experience, and I met and was in fellowship with so many beautiful people, but how do I make what I saw and felt and heard actually stick?

I know this much: I never want to forget the stars we admired in Swaziland and Kruger Park, I never want to forget how much I appreciate running water, I never want to forget the love with which I was welcomed. I could list hundreds of things that my experience in South Africa made me realize. Some of these memories were ground-breaking, others were small moments of comfort, but they all mesh together in a way that encapsulates my experience.

I hope that I never romanticize the trip, that I never forget the hard work, the exhaustion, or the uncertainties. Those things were as equally as important as the moments of comfort, if not more so. This was a challenging experience, but it was also a life-changing one. Through our interactions with the people of Come Back Mission and Lomgeletjane, I saw more gracious acts of kindness, humanity, and love than I ever could have hoped to see.

I continue to reflect over my time South Africa and Swaziland, in hopes that I will eventually understand how it will impact my life. To be truthful, I’m not yet sure, though I accept that this is part of the adventure.

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely beautiful, Hannah. I feel you. :-)

    Keller

    ReplyDelete